I saw this article which has 10 tips for getting a promotion. Here is the list. See the entire article for more detail.
How to get a promotion at work1. Work for a company that has potential to grow. This might require you to get a new job.
2. Do a great job.
3. Make sure people know you're doing a great job. (If you don't toot your horn, no one will).
4. Become popular. Sad but true, you'll do better in life if you are popular and people like you. A great book for this is "How to Win Friends and Influence People"
5. Make sure the right people know you want a promotion.
6. Apply for other jobs within your company. Sick of the lab, try for a spot in your Marketing or Regulatory department.
7. Develop new skills. This could mean college but could also be skills you develop in your spare time.
8. Get a mentor. Find someone you want to be like and ask them to lunch to find out their secrets of success.
9. Groom a successor. You can't leave your job if no one else is around to do it. Make sure there is someone who can take your place.
10. Make your own job. Figure out what you want to accomplish and then start doing it. This could turn into a whole new job for you.